Dental Implants in Knoxville, TN
Did you know that three million people in the United States have dental implants? And that number is growing by half a million every year. Getting dental implants is now one of the safest dental surgeries you can have and, with new technology, it can be less costly and less time consuming than ever before.
How do Dental Implants Work?
Dental implants are replacement tooth roots and are a way for your bone and jaw to stay intact and healthy when you have lost or damaged a tooth. By inserting a small titanium screw into the gum and jaw, you can have a solid foundation that a connector “abutment” and crown can be put on. The implant and abutment stabilize the crown in your jaw so it doesn’t shift or move, and thus makes it so your other teeth won’t move either.
Implants are made to feel and look natural so you can go back to functioning in a healthy dental lifestyle. And with new technologies that make them safe and convenient, they are more popular than ever. Other benefits include:
- Great for Adults and Adolescents Alike – Implants are great for adults and now even adolescents who have reached their full development can benefit from them. This is usually age 16 for females and age 18 for males.
- Look Like Teeth, Feel Like Teeth – The best part about implants is they are customized to look, feel, and function like your natural teeth so well you won’t even tell the difference. That way you can still keep up healthy dental habits with no discomfort and keep your natural-looking smile. You can get back to smiling and eating what you love.
- Durability – Implants, when compared with dentures and bridges, are made to last for decades, meaning less time and money for repairs and replacements.
- Save Your Facial Structure – Implants prevent bone loss and facial structure problems. If you allow the space to remain where you are missing teeth, your other teeth can shift and change, often causing major problems that are harder to solve the longer they remain unrepaired. Because implants are like regular teeth but now from a man-made material, you don’t have to worry about decay or grinding them down.
Types of Implants
Dental implants come in a variety of shapes and sizes. We can help determine what one is best for you.
Endosteal: These are placed in the jaw and are the most common, consisting of small, titanium screws.
Subperiosteal: These are used only in certain instances because they go on top of or on the bone usually because of jaw damage that you don’t want to repair with a jaw bone procedure.
Implants only work well if they have a good foundation to work off of, which means a healthy jaw bone. Sometimes, due to diseases or other trauma, that’s not possible. But good news! There are procedures that can be done to help give your jaw more stability for an implant.
Bone additives and bone factors to build up the bone.
Adding bone to the sinus areas. This is usually when you have lost back teeth.
Adding more to your bone to make it wider when it is too narrow.
Technology Makes the Difference
The reason implants have become such a great option for more people is because of the advancements in technology. With 3D imaging and planning software, you can now reduce the recovery time and money for the procedure. And with new ways to plan sites, you can ensure better accuracy than ever before.
The most popular implants are the ones that are permanent for one tooth. There are, however, others that may be a better option for you. They include:
- Same-day implants – these can be done in one day
- Small implants – used for partial implants or narrow areas
- Full arch – also known as “All-on-4,” can be used instead of bone grafting for multiple teeth
In the end, implants and crowns can help you get back to your normal life. To learn more about your dental implant options in Knoxville, TN, contact us today! With payment options, they may be more affordable than you think.